Second Storey Extensions: Add a 2nd Level to Your Home
Sydney Extensions has been helping Australian families realise their home renovation dreams for almost 40 years. During this time we’ve consistently provided innovative yet practical designs, excellent customer service, quality products and speedy construction – our hard work has paid off and as a result we have a formidable reputation.
Adding a second storey to your home can be a daunting prospect – removal of roofs, plumbing, potential structural issues… it can seem much scarier than what it actually is. That’s not to say that it’s not a big job, but with the right company, it’s entirely possible and can be a pleasant experience!
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of what to be aware of, where to go and who to talk to, let’s start with the good stuff – a few of the benefits of adding a second storey:
- Extra living room without taking away from space outdoors
- Capture views
- Additional storage space
- More natural light
- Save on costs associated with relocation – brokers, stamp duty etc
A recent article by The Australian highlighted this last point perfectly: “moving on up – as opposed to moving on out – can pay far greater dividends in the long run”. In this particular article The Australian shares the story of one Canberra couple who recently renovated their home and what this achieved for them. We absolutely recommend a read!
Another article featured in News.com.au explored the Stamp Duty fees and how this has affected homeowners and their decision to renovate, sharing; “the cost of stamp duty has certainly seen a surge in homeowners wanting to make the most of what they’ve already got”. Although the stamp duty cost hasn’t changed, the increase in property prices has seen this fee tacking on a cost that can be a bit of a ‘punch in the teeth’. This is another article we’d recommend reading!
As the largest Home Improvement and Extension Company in Australia, we’re entirely confident our extension builders can settle any concerns you might have regarding your home improvement needs, and we’re committed to bringing you updates to help you make informed decisions. So here’s a short list of boxes to tick before pursuing your second storey extension:
- Council approved? It’s never a simple matter of deciding to build and away we go… your local council should be able to tell you whether a second storey addition is allowed at your location
- Have you planned, re-planned and planned again? Ensure you’ve left room in your budget and try to choose all tiles, rooms, finishes etc. before construction begins
- Have you paired with a reputable building company whose engineers can assess any potential structural issues and determine the possibility of a second storey extension? Sydney Extensions can, and will, take care of all your construction needs and manage the project efficiently and effectively from start to finish
- Are you sure you can accommodate the extra cost of an upwards extension? Building upwards as opposed to outwards is more expensive… triple check expected costs and be sure you’re entirely aware of what to anticipate – this is made easy when working with a company like Sydney Extensions!
If you’re ready to grab the bull by the horns and make this exciting change to your already loved family home, contact our friendly and experienced team to discuss your dream! It all begins with a FREE no-obligation consultation with one of our highly sought after design consultants, either in our office or the comfort of your own home.
We also offer competitive Finance Offer – No Interest No Repayments for 12 months (conditions apply). And it all ends when we hand you the keys to your ‘new’ home! For a hassle free and exciting construction experience, team up with Sydney Extensions today!